Arizona artist Kaori Takamura is known for her vibrant, boldly graphic mixed media paintings. Once a graphic designer by trade, she balances the interrelationship between design and art through her explorations on canvas.
Through symbols and her metaphorical “stitching” technique, Takamura transforms ordinary objects into commentaries on life. Takamura incorporates unconventional textile methods that are based on traditional fabric patterning, embroidery, and letterforms as a way of expressing our tangled and intricate everyday feelings.
These paintings, although resembling fabric or textile art, are in actuality mixed media large-sized acrylic paintings on artist’s canvas with separate silk screened shape elements that are hand cut or cut out using a laser cutter. Although based on patterns, each individual piece in the series is an original work expressing and or evoking subtle meanings and thoughts.
Takamura digitally rough sketches her concepts. Digital files of her cut-out shape elements including the stitching holes are transferred into vector line artwork that are then exported into AutoCAD files for large format laser cutting. After each cut-out shape element has been laser cut by an outside vender she applies additional silk screened prints on them.
Takamura’s color choices are explored digitally before implementing onto the actual artist canvas through the mixing of various acrylic paints. Finally, the cut-out elements are hand stitched onto the painting canvas with the addition of loose threads and machine stitching.
- 2019 Solo Exhibition “Diamond Needle” at Meyer Gallery, Park City, UT
- 2019 Group Exhibition “ReFresh IX”, Long View Gallery, Washington D.C.
- 2019 San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, TECHstyle Art IV, San Jose, CA
- 2018 Solo Exhibition ‘Between Shapes” at Gebert Contemporary, Scottsdale, AZ
- 2018 Three person Exhibition at Long View Gallery, Washington D.C.
- 2017 Two Person Exhibition ‘Look Closely’ at Meyer Gallery, Park City UT
- 2016 Group Exhibition at Chaos Theory, Phoenix AZ
- 2015 Solo Exhibition at Mesa Contemporary Art Museum, Mesa AZ
- 2015 Group Exhibition at Gebert Contemporary, Scottsdale AZ
- 2014 Solo Exhibition ‘Patched’ at Gebert Contemporary, Scottsdale, AZ
- 2014 Group Exhibition ‘Shared Language’ at Meyer Gallery, Park City, UT
- 2013 Solo Exhibition at Meyer Gallery, Park City, UT
- 2011 Three Person Show at Andrea Schwartz Gallery, San Francisco CA
- 2011 Two Person Show at Costello Childs Contemporary Fine Art, Phoenix AZ
- 2011 “Women’s Wisdom” Curated by Patty Haberman at Mesa Contemporary Art Museum , Mesa AZ
- 2010 Solo Exhibition at Gallery Nii, Ginza Tokyo Japan
- 2010 Solo Exhibition “the STREET” at eye lounge, Phoenix AZ
- 2009 Solo Exhibition “THE SHIRT SHOP” at eye lounge, Phoenix AZ
- 2008 Contemporary Forum Art Auction at Phoenix Art Museum
- 2008 Group Exhibition at Phoenix Art Museum, AZ
- 2008 Solo Exhibition at eye lounge, Phoenix AZ
- 2007 Group Exhibition at OP Gallery, Chicago IL
- 2007 Solo Exhibition at @Central Gallery, Phoenix AZ</>
- 2007 Group Exhibition at M!WAA@New Art Center, New York NY
- 2006 Cambridge Art Association National Prize Show Cambridge MA
- 2006 Two Person Exhibition at Cattle Track, Scottsdale AZ
Awards and Grants
- 2012 Lincoln Center “Vision and View Point” Cash Award, CO
- 2009 Alpan International Gallery Selection, NY
- 2009 Cave Creek Art Festival Semi Finalist, AZ
- 2009 OC Grants Honorable mention, CA
- 2008 Liquitex Excellence in Art Award 2008
- 2007 Phoenix Art Museum Contemporary Forum Artist Grant
- Mesa Art Museum
- Kraft Foods, Inc.
- Shemer Art Center and Museum
- Arizona Country Club
- Montana Museum of Art &Culture
- Sheraton Hotel
- Pinnacle Peak Trillium
- Vallone Design
- Wiseman & Gale Interiors
- Ursula & Stephen Gerbert (Gerbert Contemporary)
- Brand Outlook
- Vermont Studio Center 2014
Public Art Project
- INFLUX in Scottsdale, AZ 2015