Born in 1974 in Bountiful, Utah, Seth Winegar is a talented artist dedicated to developing his innate skill by immersing himself in oil painting. Although relatively still young he is well established in the Southwest and a favorite among Meyer Gallery collectors. His unique tonalist landscapes of the West, marked by thick brush strokes and muted colors focus primarily on the idyllic imagery near his Utah home.
Seth began his formal art training by diligently studying with wildlife painter, Michael Coleman. He then attended numerous workshops and classes at the Scottsdale Artist's School, studying with artists Sherry MacGraw, Richard Schmid, Jim Wilcox and others. He has also taken classes at Utah State University.
Seth Winegar creates landscape and still life paintings. In painting these subjects, Seth has concentrated on honing his powers of observation, especially as it concerns color, texture, form and composition. They are deep in rich, thick oil strokes. In some sections they are detailed studies of the subject, flowing into loose imaginative segments demonstrating Winegar's love of juxtaposition and glazing. You will find his paintings to be freshly vivacious, filled with tonal rhythms and dramatic movements, not often seen in the work of such a young artist. "I want to capture the spirit of the scene. If a painting is truly alive, it has to have a spirit, right? The goal is trying to attain immediate intimacy. That is what I am trying to do," explains Winegar.
When asked why he paints, Winegar responds "That's like asking me why I breathe...it is instinctual." He likes to capture subtleties in his oils through the study of opposition. The play of light and shadow, warm and cool tones, dramatic and diminutive are all detailed in his work. "I love to explore the nuances. Life is incredibly complex, but when you break it down and really look at it, it is quite simple, filled with small subtleties," Winegar explains.
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS, HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2013, 2014 Coors Western Art Show, Denver, CO
- 2011, 2012, 2014 Buffalo Bill Art Show and Sale Cody, WY
- 2011 Zion National Park Plein Air Invitational
- 2009 Springville Museum of Art, Award of Merit
- 2008, 2009, 2010- Meyer Gallery, One-Man-Show, Park City, UT
- 2007- University of Utah Fine Art Museum Benefit Auction, Salt Lake City, UT
- 2007- Meyer Gallery, One-Man Show, Park City, UT
- 2005- Meyer Gallery, One-Man-Show, Park City, UT
- 2004- Meyer Gallery, One-Man-Show, Park City, UT
- 2004 - Largest dollar amount for painting sold at NAC Annual Auction, Park City, UT
- 2001- '02- Meyer Gallery, One-Man-Show, Park City, UT
- 2000- Desert Caballeros Western Museum Rising Stars 2000 -- Western Artists Worth Watching
- 1997 - Arts for the Parks, Top 100, Jackson Hole, WY
PRIVATE AND PUBLIC COLLECTIONS
- Western Desert Caballeros Art Museum, Wickenburg, AZ
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Art, permanent collection, Montgomery, AL
- O.C. Tanner Corporate Collection, Salt Lake City, UT